Monday, November 26, 2012

Doodlers, Unite!

A couple of weeks ago, I talked about a fun approach to start working in your sketchbook called Zendoodle or Zentangle. You may ask what the point of this is, just having fun with drawing. "I'm not creating 'serious art'!" you say. "I'm just muddling around."

As it turns out, this "just paying around" in your sketchbook has great benefits for all of us. See: this video.




See?

I'd like to take this one step further. Not only is "doodling" considered inappropriate in the work place, but in the realm of "serious art," it is looked down upon. The world of serious, professional art has a high level of critique. "Why did you use that brand of paper?" "What did you mean to invoke by using blue, here, instead of (say) yellow?" "Is this a cultural commentary?"

In fact, outside of elementary school (and even in there, some times) the art of play, of puttering around, of being absentminded or creating just for the joy of doing it is looked down upon and I have never understood why.

At our most fundamental levels, we are mammals and all mammals engage in play. Not only as children, but as adults as well. It facilitates social connections keeps us physically and mentally sharp and releases hormones that increase our sense of well-being.

"Playing around," both in your sketchbook and in your life has nothing but 100% positive implications and effects upon you. I encourage you to step outside of your box, your rules, your thoughts of "I wanted to draw a horse, but a horse doesn't look like that," and let yourself play. Play in your sketchbook, play in your life. Let go of rules and "should's" and "can't."

Let us free spirits, us joyful beings, us doodlers and muddlers and dreamers unite and spread the word. Rigidity and sternness break. Flowing and merriment endure, enliven and invigorate!


Keep playing, my dears. And please remember that we are all visionaries. We just have to figure out where we excel.


Love to All,


Bri



Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Oh I just love Zentangles!! I began doing it about a month ago and am so addicted. It really does reduce my anxiety levels!! It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been considering doing a zentangle on dictionary paper. Now I am going to go beyond considering to doing!! I think my first zentangle was from a couple years ago during an art every day month.

    So glad to have read your words today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help. I'm glad you're moving into action. That rocks!

      Delete