Friday, September 21, 2012

Creative Every Day: Business Cards

Awhile ago, I made a deal with myself. I wasn't getting as much creative work actually done as I would've liked. I had this drive, this desire to put my creative work out there in the world, but I couldn't put it out in the world if I didn't create it, right? I know. It seems obvious. I was full of dreams and lacking in drive partially due to my heath and partially due to fear (which I will address in an upcoming post).

So, I made a deal with myself. Every day, I would do 1 thing towards the goal of living a more creative life. I decided that this contract with myself should be something I could keep, so I allowed many things to count as activities in keeping with the contract. Researching how to do a new art technique would count. Playing in my Sketch Book  would count. Looking at the work of other artists to get inspired would count.




In my searching, I came upon this website and this lady to help me in my journey. Goddess Leonie is doing the same thing I'm doing in encouraging creativity in this world, only she is focusing more on women. I love this lady. Go check her out, explore her site and look at her videos. Whenever I need a little encouragement, I go to either Goddess Leonie, Mama Gena or SARK for a pick-me-up. 

This past week, besides writing and drawing and brainstorming about future projects (I do a lot, I know!), I decided to make myself some business cards that would reflect not only me, but everything I'm trying to accomplish with the Visionary Bri project. I had already purchased Avery 8376 - Perforated Business Cards in ivory and I wanted to do something special with them. I wanted my cards to be unique. I remembered that, some years ago in art school, I bought myself a marbling kit and never had really done anything with it.

I went to my art box (which is a big purple plastic storage bin with a black lid that I got a Target one Halloween) and I pulled out the kit. I ran some water into a shallow cookie sheet and got to marbling. Because of the process, each and every card is different. And they're beautiful. What do you think?


The purple blocks are where my telephone number is. The hand with the spirals in it is an interpretation of the healing hand symbol. Massage therapists have adopted the symbol of the hand with a healing spiral in it and I am a Licensed Massage Therapist, but I've now moved my energy into many different areas.Thus, there are multiple spirals in the hand.

I love how the cards turned out and I love how each one is a unique piece, all its' own.

So, what are you doing to pursue your creative dreams? Even one small thing a day is a good step. All you need to do is take 10 minutes a day to let yourself dwell on the life you'd like to create. 10 minutes to play with your creations. 10 minutes a day will lead to wonderful and astounding leaps forward, I promise.

Have you been giving yourself time to dream? If you haven't, don't beat yourself up. Be gentle with yourself. Just guide yourself to your 10 minutes. It's okay. I believe in you. I have faith that this world can and will support our creative dreams if we can just get out of our own way and let it.

I'd like to encourage you, now, to sit down with a piece of paper and just doodle. Let your mind be free and peaceful. Let your hand play. Does anything come to you? Any words? Any images? Write them down. Draw them. Let yourself have fun. It doesn't have to be perfect and no one else needs to see it. This is you letting yourself be what you've always wanted to be.

Do you hear that? The universe is encouraging you, too. You are a being who was created, thus the creative spark lives in you. The entirety of creation is at your back, supporting you. Plants, animals, ancestors, quarks, quasars, galaxies, all singing to you the song of being.

I love that you've come to my little corner of the internet, you lovely people, you. I hope that we can continue to inspire and encourage each other every day.

Until next time, dears, remember that we are all visionaries. We just have to figure out where we excel.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic business cards ~ very creative ~ I am working on completing a sketchbook for the Sketchbook Project out of Brooklyn NY Library ~ and my blog and will start more art work tomorrow ~ Going to poet and writer's group tonight ~ Enjoy the evening ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really like them.
    I've never heard of that project, before. I'll have to check it out.
    I love hearing that people are dedicating time to being creative. That's awesome that you're making your creative life a priority. Keep it up, dear, and thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete