Saturday, September 22, 2012

Creative in the Kitchen: Roasted Lemon Dill Chicken

Maybe it's a dream of yours to get creative in the kitchen. Well, babies, do I have some stuff for you! I will never be model-thin, again, no. And you know why? Because I and those around me have learned how to COOK. And damn well, I'd say.

I'd like to share a recipe with you that I tried this week. My husband ate his entire half of a 5.5 lb chicken and it makes this lovely tangy au jus that's just great for sopping up with bread. It's so easy and there are amazing results.


Roasted Lemon Dill Chicken





You will need:

1 whole roasting chicken (thawed, giblets out)
salt (I used iodized sea salt)
black pepper
dill
2 lemons

Preheat you oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the chicken inside and out with a mix of salt, pepper and dill. Rinse the 2 lemons in hot water and soften them by rolling them between your palms (or pounding them on the counter, lightly). Pierce each lemon about 20 times with a toothpick. Stick lemons inside the chicken and tie the legs together with string. (I had to use a couple of toothpicks through the chicken to help hold the 2nd lemon in and it turned out just great!) Place the chicken breast side down in a roasting pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then, turn it breast side up and bake for 20 more minutes. Finally, crank the heat to 400 and cook for another 15-40 minutes (depending on weight of chicken) until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 160. Remove from the oven, let it cool a bit, then carve it up as you'd like.


This is, officially one of the best chickens I've ever made. The skin got nice and crispy and the meat was tender and juicy. And I've already raved about the au jous. 

This chicken is heaven on a plate, all tangy and moist. Try the recipe. I'm sure you'll like it.

Doesn't that just look gorgeous?


 
There are so many ways that we can be creative in our everyday lives. Why limit yourself? Play and experiment in every area of your life. Some things may flop. I once made a pasta dish that was barely edible, but the dog seemed to like it . . . So be bold! Be brave! Go for the gusto! And happy creating!




We're all visionaries. We just have to figure out where we excel!

4 comments:

  1. Although I'm a vegetarian, this chicken sound delightful. As an enticement, I have a huge pot of dill growing in my vegetable garden. So this is a strong possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to think how you could do this as a veg-friendly thing. Maybe with tofu, some chicken bullion and the lemons? I'm a meat eater, but I know that not everyone is. This recipe is awesome, but I'd hate to encourage you to break your vegetarian path, if that's something you're passionate about. You could try it with tofu and, if it works, come back and let me know. I've never been good at cooking with tofu, so hints on how to make it taste decent would be greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  2. it is amazing to me that I can have such a mouthwatering response to this at this hour of the morning.

    Yummmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to try it, let me know how it turns out. :-)

      Delete