Monday, October 29, 2012

Big Dreams in Detail

Hello, my lovelies. Today, I'd like to talk to you about dreams. We all have them and that's why most of you are visiting this site. You have big, creative dreams and you want to live them. That's why I'm here, to help you along on your journey.

In your sketchbook or journal, this week, I want you to write down your big dreams. I want you to list them, give a voice to them, play with them in your head and embrace them. If time, money, age, education and everything else in the world weren't a factor, what would you want to do?




When you write your list, do so in a way that makes you happy. Write it down in your favorite color pen or draw little pictures around your list. Add glitter or cut some pictures out of magazines and collage them around your words. Make this list something that you're going to want to look at again, from time to time, because that's what I want you to do.

Whenever you feel like you've lost your direction, whenever you feel depressed, whenever this world seems to be kicking you more than helping you, I want you to look at your list and daydream. For now, that's all I want you to do. I want you write down your dreams and let your mind run wild with your fantasies. 

I am a big fan of the singer Meat Loaf. I've seen him in concert and I even own tee shirts. I love this man and his music. The song "Good Girls Go to Heaven" was an anthem of mine in high school and a particular lyric strikes me at this time. 
 
"You don't have a lot, but it's all that you've got
And you can turn it into more than it seems
Just give it a shot, fantasize every movement
And imagine every inch of your dream

No one said it had to be real
But it's gotta be something you can reach out and feel
"

Not only do I want you to write down what your dreams are, I want you to daydream about and record the details of your dreams. 

Do you want to write a book? If so, what would the title be? What do you want the cover art to look like? Is there a particular font that you want the type to be in? If so, what is it?

I want you to get down to specifics. Do you want to be on Oprah for your accomplishments? What will you wear when you appear on the show? Personally, I'd love to be on Ellen, Ricki Lake or be on stage with RuPaul.



But those dreams are a little far off, for now. But, some of my dreams, I've already accomplished. I wanted to be a published author and I didn't want it to happen through some vanity press. I didn't feel, at the time, like my self-esteem could handle the rejection letters I'd have to get until I got a 'yes,' so I published my chapbooks of poetry, myself. 4 of them, to be exact. The titles were Fugitive Words from the Almond Cloud, Little Fugitives, To All the Boys and Womanic Life. In a later post I will share with you exactly how I published, printed and promoted these little guys and how you can publish your own book, too. You will be amazed at how easy it is!

One of my other dreams are that I want to be a regular fixture in a local parade like Jill Conner Browne and The Sweet Potato Queens. (If you haven't heard of this woman, yet, check her out. She's immensely funny and does some great charity work "for the chirrin"!) I'd love for my friends and I to ride on a float, dancing to music while wearing sequins just 'cause we can. And I'd like to invite all of the world to come and be in the parade with me. This dream goes hand-in-hand with my secret desire to be a female drag queen. *wink* 

I know. It's not a "cure breast cancer" kind of a dream, but it's one that I have and might be able to accomplish.



No matter how silly, record all your dreams. Every single one of them. And, when you begin to imagine them, maybe ideas will come to you about how you can make tiny steps to accomplishing them. Write these steps down, as well. It's important to record these steps so you're not forgetting them and losing all this important headway. 

Another silly dream of mine is to scream "I will triumph!" under the Arc de Triomphe a la Meg Ryan in the movie French Kiss.



So, my dears, what are your dreams? What are the silly, the noble, the wonderful dreams that are bouncing around in your head? What churnings and yearnings stir in your heart or tickle your fancy? What would you like to learn how to do?

I've created this blog as a means to reach out to you and help you, to create a community of creatives that can inspire and uplift each other. So talk back to me, beauties! I'd love to hear from you.



Please remember, you delicious souls, that we are all visionaries. We just have to figure out where we excel.



Follow me on Facebook and Twitter to get updates on new posts and up-to-the minute news from the Visionary Bri world.  I'd love to see you there!

4 comments:

  1. Very inspirational post ~ thanks ~ (A Creative Harbor) artmusedog and Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful that you have written such an inspiring and igniting post to rekindle one's love of dreams as this is the reason why we are here. My dreams are for now in my vision board and they change from time to time but always get fulfilled. My biggest dream is to create a self sufficient community of love and respect where many can gather and be their true selves in honor of mother earth and supporting one another in the co-creation of life. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful dream, Ana. I'm glad my post was able to inspire you. I have often thought of creating a self-sufficient artist colony. I know that there a lot of resources out there for doing just that.

      Keep dreaming, dear, and thank you for reading.

      Delete