Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Childlike Empress

Because of this nurturing creativity venture I've undertaken, I get to hear things from people that no one else hears. I ask people, "What are you creative dreams? If money, schooling and talent were no object, in a completely ideal world, what would you do?" The answers I get to these questions are always striking.




I get to hear the secrets in your heart. I get to hear your hopes and your dreams that may have been squelched along your life path. I get to hear those small, fragile, glimmering bits of life that have, sometimes, been kept quiet for years. I get to hold them in my hands and feel their faint heartbeats against my palms.

I feel like the Childlike Empress from the movie The Neverending Story. I am passing to you the twinkling bit of hope that you need to make all your dreams come true. In turn, you entrust me with the safekeeping of the world that dreams are made of. I get to lean in close, admire your precious wishes and whisper to them, "Grow!"



And, I'd like to tell you something that may surprise you. I have never, not once, heard a dream from someone that I would say was dumb, silly, frivolous, or not worth pursuing. Can you believe that? Not one!

It takes lots of courage to dream in this world that seems like it tries to knock us down at every turn. It takes a lot of guts, sometimes, to even say our delicate desires out loud. I feel so privileged and honored to be trusted with the knowledge of these cherished little bits of your soul.

Doing anything new and creative is, in itself, revolutionary. It means that you've dared to challenge any number of things set in front of and expected of you. You're challenging your station in society, what other people want for you, what people might think of you, your current job, even your view of yourself.

As I go about my daily life, I get to hear colorful little sparks of hope. The other day, I was in a large department store looking at muffin tins and it just so happened that a stranger struck up a conversation with me. This happens to me a lot, so I don't mind. It started with him asking me where he could find a good pizza stone and it ended with me giving him my card. Do you want to know what his dream was? It was to open a "gourmet" soup kitchen, based on the principle that healthy eating enriches our lives. He would serve fresh veggies and fruits, no over-processed things. All based on the idea that good, nutritious fuel put in us enriches our lives in ways that chemicals can't. Isn't that an amazing idea?

Another gentleman who sold televisions for a living told me a couple of weeks ago about wanting to open a doughnut truck that sold various and novelty kinds of doughnuts. Doughnuts with interesting and striking ingredients. He'd cater to both the last call and before work crowd, working at night instead of during the day.

Don't both of these ideas sound awesome? Don't they sound enriching to the world and worth pursuing? I certainly think so. I know I'd patronize a nifty doughnut truck. Wouldn't you? Sure you would! It sounds like a nifty thing to try. And, as for serving whole, raw, unprocessed and nutritious foods to those down on their luck? I don't think I've ever heard an idea more worthwhile and noble.

And these are only two of the dreams that have been told to me over the past month!

My best girl friend's dream was to have a baby. Again, such a wonderful dream. I'm happy to say that she's due on Valentine's Day and that I have been invited to witness the birth of her daughter. I've never seen a woman giving birth, so I think I'm just as excited about February as she is. Not to mention the fact that our daughters will only be a year apart and they can grow up, together.

There are so many wonderful ideas that rest in your hearts, out there. I want to encourage you to chase after each and every one. I want your lives to overflow with possibility and joy. If only half of these ideas that we carry inside us can be made manifest in this world, just think about how much greater the world will be for having them!

I'd like to invite you to tell me your dreams. Leave a comment or email me at brifloorwilson@gmail.com, if you're more comfortable with that. I try to reply to everything and I can't wait to hear from you!


Remember that we are all visionaries, my lovelies. We just have to figure out where we excel!

No comments:

Post a Comment