Friday, January 18, 2013

Childhood Wishes Can Come True

No matter how silly it may seem later, as little children, sometimes we see things out in the world that we want. And, sometimes, the things that our little child hearts desire are a little strange. We've all had this experience, I'm sure.

When a friend of mine was little, she wanted a calculator and she wanted to work at a grocery store. In her child-mind, she wanted to press the buttons on the cash register. She just thought it was the coolest thing and she wanted a calculator so she could add things up. Luckily, my friend had an understanding mother who got her a calculator and my friend spent hours with it, adding up the numbers in the phone book. She was tickled to death to be adding up those numbers.

In my childhood, I asked my parents for something I'd seen on television. I wanted a Ronco Food Dehydrator. Oh, how I wanted that thing! I watched the infomercials (still a hobby of mine) and pined away for the ability to make my own fruit roll-ups or turkey jerky. My little heart wanted this so badly!

Me at 7 years old with our dog, Sasha,
wanting to make turkey jerky


To this day, I'm not sure why my little heart wanted that food dehydrator, but my parents (confused as they often were by my antics) probably wrote it off as "another one of those weird things Bri's into, now." This has happened more than once over my lifetime, so far.

Years passed and I never got my food dehydrator.

This past Christmas of 2013, my friend, my father and I were talking about dreams. It's a favorite topic of mine. We were talking about holidays and years past and the topic of the "one present I never got, but really wanted" came up. Of course, I mentioned the food dehydrator and my father said, "You still wanted one after all these years?" You betcha. I sure did! My father asked me, "Why?" and my answer was the same. "To make turkey jerky and fruit roll-ups!"

After all these 20-some-odd years, all the locales, all the achievements and all my adventures, the little girl in me still cried out for this thing. The little one in me still wanted the self-sufficiency and fun and healthy snacks that this device offered me.

The days of counting toward the holidays passed and I forgot all about the conversation with my father.

Christmas morning came and a large, slightly heavy box was placed in my lap. And what do you think was in that box?

You're right. It was my very own food dehydrator! Sitting next to me, hubby gave me a look of confusion as I threw my head back and laughed. My father had heard me and responded. I gave my father a huge hug and we laughed some more.

My lovelies, if you don't make your dreams known, then there is no way that the people who love you can help you make them a reality! If you don't tell your friends and family, look for a mentor, or hire a life coach to help you (I'm still working on setting that aspect of this business up). it's going to be a lot harder to get what you want. Asking is always good. The worst they can say is "no."

And, the best thing that can happen is that someone will be in exactly the right place at the perfect time to help you. Then, you get to your dreams / goals / wishes that much faster! Ask, my dears. Always ask. Let the world conspire to give you everything you want. Believe that it can happen. Or you can muster your own fortitude, guts and resources and get yourself your own damned food dehydrator! *wink*

Tonight, I started and finished my very first tray of beef jerky. Isn't it beautiful? Next batch is turkey jerky!

My very first batch of beef jerky in the dehydrator


My happy face, makeup-free today, after the jerky-fying had begun


So, my gorgeous dears, what is it that you want? What does your heart sing for? What did you never get as a child that you still want, to this day? It's not too late to get it or achieve that dream. Leave a comment or email me at brifloorwilson(at)gmail(dot)com and let me know what your inner kiddo still wants, no matter how "silly" it sounds. I'd love to hear from you.

Until next time, please remember that we are all visionaries. We just have to figure out where we excel.


Love to All,

Bri


Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

2 comments:

  1. What I want? A dollhouse. It seems silly, and rather insignificant, since I'm now 33, have 2 children (both boys!) and well..am grown.
    But when I was growing up, I didn't have dolls. I wasn't a girly girl. I climbed trees. I fixed things. I remember finding an old stereo next to our neighborhood dumpster, taking it home, taking it apart, and making it work.
    As an adult, I realize what I missed out on as a child, not having those experiences. Yes, I babysat neighborhood kids, girls, and played barbies...but not the same.
    So now, as an adult, that's what I want. A real dollhouse.
    By the way, I had a dehydrator, just like the one in your picture, and never used it... was it as easy as it looks? I LOVE jerky... maybe I should find one!! ;)

    Thanks!!
    Marianne from Sandling All Day
    (following you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is 100% as easy as it looks. Mine even has temperature guidelines right on the lid for what you want to dry. We used milanesa cut steak for our first batch of jerky. It turned out to be good, but we're going to try a thicker cut, next time.

    You know, that might be a fun project for you - creating the dollhouse of your dreams. I read, this week, from The Bloggess, about how she's making her own haunted dollhouse. She's been working on it for years and it seems to be labor intensive, but I can tell that she really loves the project. The link to article here: http://thebloggess.com/2011/10/the-haunted-dollhouse/
    The slideshow that shows all the details is so awesome!

    I would encourage you to build your dollhouse, if you're an adult and you want it, make it, honey! If you can't afford to, right now, start by collecting pics from magazines and saving them in a folder or shoebox to give you inspiration and to keep that dream fresh in your mind. Dream it on paper, love. What color would the kitchen be? Would you put little plates on the table? Could you maybe make these things?

    In encourage you to shoot for your dream, Marianne. Life is too short to not do so.

    Big Hugs,

    -Bri

    ReplyDelete